An Open Door for Romanian Ministry

America has its own abortion problem, and we do not want to minimize  the efforts to save babies and reach hurting women with the gospel inside our own borders. However, few Americans realize that 98% of abortions happen outside the U.S, but 98% of pro-life funds are spent inside the U.S, leaving only 2% of pro-life funds for  98% of abortions.  Amazing isn’t it!

Three out of every four pregnancies in Romania are terminated in abortion. Many Romanian women have had multiple abortions. Some have had so many abortions that they have lost count. Crisis pregnancy counseling in Romania offers unique ministry opportunities. Unlike in America, counselors are permitted in the waiting rooms where women are preparing to abort their babies. But since there are so few voices drawing attention to alternatives to abortion and to the physical and emotional consequences involved in having an abortion, most go through with the procedure.

In addition to the opportunity to save unborn life, crisis pregnancy counselors have the opportunity to reach out to the large segment of Romania’s women who have had abortions. These women are hurting and weighed down with the guilt of their sin.

But Christ offers forgiveness and pardon. Crisis pregnancy ministry in Romania opens countless  doors to share the gospel with women who are in deep need.

This is an open door of ministry in Romania that we plan to walk through.

The LORD is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
He will not always chide,
nor will he keep his anger forever.
He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.                     (Psalm 103:8-13 ESV)

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “An Open Door for Romanian Ministry

  1. Joshua, I have followed many of your blogs about Romania and they are very good. Thank God for your desire to serve there with your wife. I think your statistics about abortion may be a little off. By most accounts the abortion rate is between 40 and 50 percent. Unbelievably high and there is a great need for a ministry to these precious women. May the Lord bless you and your wife in your upcoming ministry in Romania. I am pasting a link with the stats for Romanian abortion. Of course it could be wrong. http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/romania/ab-romaniac2.html

    • Hello, Wayne. Thank you for the additional data. Perhaps the source that I have taken my three out of four figure focused on just one particular area in Romania and didn’t make that clear in the sharing of the data. Perhaps the figure was an extrapolation, attempting to compensate for unreported abortions. Or perhaps my source information is just wrong. We have had difficulty making sense of contradictory information on social concerns in Romania. We thought our information was reliable, but I appreciate your sharing this additional source and providing what may be a more reliable figure on the abortion rate in Romania. -Joshua

  2. Joshua, you are right about statistics in Romania. It is hard to get a clear picture. I will say that I was in Romania last month in a clinic to get some eyeglasses for one of the young women we work with and the clinic at the end of the hall was where women go for abortions. It appeared that the waiting room was full of young women. It is heartbreaking to see that. I also hate the fact that it is popular to blame the Orphan population on the fact that the Govt. did not allow abortions under Communism. Ceacescu has been gone for over 20 years and abortion is legal and the Orphan population is still huge and getting worse. Even some Christians in Romania have bought into the idea that illegal abortion had something to do with the Orphan population.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s